Best Eczema Dermatologist In Fort Lauderdale
What is Eczema?
Eczema or atopic dermatitis is a common inflammatory condition. Eczema typically appears as a recurrent itchy dry, flaking rash. Infections are common as there is a breakdown in the skin barrier. Eczema may be present as early as infancy, but most patients outgrow the condition. Though any area of the skin may be affected, it is common to see on the face, neck, arms, inside of elbows, and ankles.
The direct cause of eczema is unknown. There is a genetic predisposition to the condition, as it is commonly seen in family members. Often, this skin condition may be associated with asthma or an allergy or sensitivity to a product or chemical. Approximately 1 of every 3 people will have a food allergy that may cause an allergic flare. Allergic triggers will vary from person to person, but some common triggers include
- Soaps and chemical cleansing agents
- Fragrances, perfumes & dyes
- Wheat, dairy, soy, and certain nuts
- Animal dander
Ruling out your trigger and protecting the skin barrier will help you to gain control of your flare-ups.
Although there is no permanent cure for eczema, after consulting your dermatologist, patients can gain control over their symptoms in the following ways:
- Lifestyle changes based on the diagnosis. This may include ruling out a dietary trigger, applying therapeutic creams, or finding ways to manage stress
- Prescription topical creams
- Avoiding products formulated with alcohol, fragrance, or dyes that may irritate the skin
- Avoiding hot or chlorinated water
- Proper skincare with a focus on maintaining the skin barrier
Schedule A Consultation
Galt Dermatology serves both men and women of all ages in the Fort Lauderdale area. Trust your skin health to our dedicated team and to our board-certified dermatologist, Dr. Villacorta. To schedule your initial consultation, please call our office at 954-463-5406 or schedule your appointment online.